The Department organises several interactive sessions, panel discussions, symposiums, workshops, conferences and seminars regularly. Held around diverse themes, these are occasions for exchange of ideas amongst experts, as much as platform for young scholars to share their research methods and outcomes. From Dalit politics, contemporary questions amongst minorities, disability rights, inequality and social hegemony in contemporary India, community management of natural resources, secularism, urban development to contradictions in the queer community, issues of identity and marginality in Northeast India and interrogating health sector reforms, the thematic range of conferences and seminars reflect the diversity of subjects and the new themes that the Department has been engaging with. In addition, in its effort to provide advance training in academic writing and research skills, the Department offers courses on research methodology and academic writing. It also organises several workshops for the research scholars. The participants in some of these workshops have also been drawn from universities across the country.
Webinars, Conferences, Seminars and Workshops (last five years)
- (Forthcoming) Virtual Conference on “Rule of law” coordinated by Prof. K. C. Suri & Dr. K. K. Kailash, 20-28 February 2021. The seminar is being jointly organized by the Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Foundation for Democratic Reforms, Hyderabad, and the Bharti School of Public Policy of the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
- (Forthcoming) Online book talk on ‘The Greater India Experiment’ by Dr. Arkotong Longkumer, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, UK on 18 February 2020. Discussant: Prof Manjari Katju. Event coordinator: Dr. Anagha Ingole.
- Online discussion on “Alienation and Freedom” between Prof. Akeel Bilgrami, Columbia University, New York and Prof Prabhat Patnaik, former Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi organised on 27 January 2021. Discussant: Prof Sanjay Palshikar. Event coordinator: Dr. Anagha Ingole.
- Webinar on “Field-based Research in the COVID-19 era in India: Issues and Alternatives” organised on 19 August 2020. Resource person: Prof Sanjay Kumar, Director, Lokniti, New Delhi, and Prof. P. Durga Prasad, Visiting Professor, Central University of Odisha, Koraput. Event coordinator: Prof E. Venkatesu.
- Webinar on “Covid-19 and the Big Faultlines in the Contemporary World” by Prof. Manoranjan Mohanty, former Professor, Delhi University organised on 4 August 2020. Discussant: Dr. Jabin Jacob, Associate Professor. Department of International Relations and Global Governance, Shiv Nadar University, New Delhi. Event coordinator: Dr. Bhim B. Subba
- National Seminar on “Money Power in Politics” coordinated by Prof. K. C. Suri & Dr. K. K. Kailash, 8-10 January, 2020. The seminar was jointly organized by the Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Foundation for Democratic Reforms, Hyderabad, and the Bharti School of Public Policy of the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
- National Seminar on “Politics Before Elections” on 25-26 March, 2019 (Organised in partnership with ICSSR Southern Regional Centre, Hyderabad).
- Workshop on Academic Writing (UGC-CAS-1) on “Language and Expression in Academic Writing” by Ms. Nabina Das (Award winning author and poet) and “Structuring the Academic Paper” by Dr. Aniket Alam (Associate Professor IIIT- Hyderabad: Former Executive Editor EPW) on 29 January, 2019.
- National Seminar (UGC- CAS-I) on “Indian Democracy at Crossroads” coordinated by Dr. K. K. Kailash and Dr. Biju B. L, 23-24 January, 2019.
- National Seminar on “Politics of Inclusion: Empowering Minorities in India” on 5-6 September, 2017.
- National Seminar on “Globalisation and International Relations Political, Economic and Cultural Implications for the Global South” on March 15-16, 2017.
- National Seminar on “Education and Politics in India: A Perspective from Below” on 24-25 February, 2017 coordinated by Dr. Ramdas Rupavath.
- National Workshop on “Political Empowerment of Muslims in Telangana: Opportunities and Challenges” on 29 November 2016 organized by Dr. E. Venkatesu.
- Workshop on Methodologies for “Archiving the Politics of Bifurcation” was conducted on 3 June 2016.
- National Seminar on “New Policy Perspectives on Education” 21-22 March, 2016 organized by the Centre for Advance Studies (CAS-I), Department of Political Science coordinated by Prof. I. Ramabrahmam.